Sunday 16 March 2008

Saturday, March 15, 2008, Bysing Wood

Back again at Bysing for another go after the Bream, Carp, and Tench.

There was a fine drizzle falling when I arrived and I plumped for a convenient swim where I could get everything set up quickly before the rain started to fall. I fished almost opposite where I did last weekend in The House Swim.
Photobucket
Tactics this week were to fish the corn again and a new bait – worm. With the water being so cold still, I figured that there would be no trouble from eels which would make mincemeat of worm or maggot in the summer; this proved to be wrong as I did actually get one – the first time I have ever had an eel during March.

The cage feeders were filled with a mixer of White crumb and a few kernels of sweetcorn and cast as far out as I could manage in the vicinity of the plateau area that lays off the Road Bank.
There was no action of any kind to the double sweetcorn all night and only the odd twitches (and take) from one eel. All in all very disappointing.

Whilst waiting for things to happen, I did work out a new way of attaching hairs to hooks. Using Fox Supersilk braid, I tied a loop in one end of the braid. Then I laid the hair along the shank of the hook and got the length right before passing the end of the braid through the eye of the hook. Then in close turns, I wound the braid up the shank of the hook towards the bend until it was opposite the hook-point. Then, in a series of half-hitches, I worked back down the shank finishing at the eye.
Photobucket
The net effect is very neat I think and does away with the need for pieces of rig-tubing on the shank of the hook which can slide up towards the eye and adds bulk to the knot.

One or two fish moved during the evening and once again, fish moved in front of the Compound swim. This swim has not been fished since the water has been down so low so it’s not surprising the lake’s population of carp have sought sanctuary there. There were odd fish moving on the bar in front of me too and I was confident of a take from something during the night.

We are in the middle of March at the moment and although it is not Spring yet, the catkins on the trees herald its start very soon. The water temperatures are still at winter levels and in every sense, winter conditions persist so I didn’t think it prudent to spod out any feed. I wonder whether this might be the answer though. There was no reaction to the corn which I feel should have at least brought some response from Rudd or Roach during a night when the rain fell continuously. I could have really done with the new bivvy of which I am awaiting delivery next week as conditions were extremely damp and uncomfortable.
Photobucket
I shall go back to The Beach for my next session as I always seem to catch something from there – I’ll be able to target the ‘hot-spot’ in front of the Compound swim where the fish have moving too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.